Wednesday, September 16, 2009

September 16, 2009

"When the Saints Come Marching In!"

To My Fabulous Family and Friends!

Hi! I feel so blessed to have been here over 9/11 and this year we did not meet anyone personally effected but it is apparent that hearts are softened on that day in particular. Last year in Manhattan President Obama was at Columbia University and we contacted near campus and we saw lots of fire trucks driving around with slideshows on them in memory towards those who lost their lives or were effected and in the Bronx this year it was a rainy dreary day so we did not see or experience the same things as last year! Either way it is a blessing to be a missionary in New York during this time and even though we did not meet anyone ourselves …perhaps other missionaries did:) All continues to go wonderful in the Bronx and I just love the people here! I have a picture I am mailing home that will share with you what it is like being here! Every letter I get from mom, she shares her natural concern for my safety but I have never felt safer in my life than on my mission! The Lord surely protects us in all things as missionaries!:) It drives me crazy she asks all of the time and if anyone has taught me I am safe in life in general it is mom because I have the precious gift of the Holy Ghost! I just have to remind her!:) So last Wednesday I had a little bug of the flu but not really, I just felt yucky and thankfully it went away before we had to go out for the night! On the other hand, all of the Sisters I live with were incredibly sick and we spent a total of 2 more days total in the apartment. Sickness took over the Lord’s servants this week and it sure was no fun for my Sisters! The other companionship we live with are Spanish speaking sisters and it is so fun for all of us to be together! It just so happened and worked out that we were able to cover all appointments in both areas by going on splits with the Hermanas and the other 2 who were more ill at the time stayed home! I loved being able to be with those Hermanas at their appointments and having the spirit witness to me the gospel is for all of Heavenly Fathers children! I just love it! And guess what I got to do yesterday??!? I went on a split back to my first area in Manhattan and just felt sooo ecstatic to be there with my old companion Sister Wadsworth! She and I were only together that short 6 weeks on the East Side of Manhattan and now she is where I was! We were able to have many great appointments with the success they are having in that area and I also got to see Maritza, Guillaume, Charolette, and Michael!! It was just amazing to say the least!! Maritza has been doing ok but she still has a strong testimony of the gospel. She attends church like 2 times a month and is working on being at church weekly. Here smiling face just brightened my life! When Sister Wadsworth and I sang with Guillaume “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” it brought back memories of teaching Guillaume with Sister Dantes and I just loved being able to see the glow on his face because of the gospel. I have never cried more tears of joy in my life than on my mission. Guillaume told me in his thick cute Hatian accent that he passes the sacrament weekly andI wish I could have recorded it! He is preparing to receive his endowment hopefully by December and that would be really special to be able to witness that. Oh how I love this work! Charloette and Michael are just the cutest kids ever and although there mother Claudia does not go to church weekly the kids get a ride or travel on the subway with other families so they can be there! Although they may be young they are such examples to me and will be forever as they stay on this path!! So to top off the week, when we were coming back to the Bronx last night we saw the drummer in the subway that we see often and he recognizes “the sisters”! We always smile and wave and he pointed to us and said in his microphone “ it is the sisters from the Latter Day Saints” and started singing “Of when the saints come marching in…!” Each day we are trying to “march” into peoples apartments and the success will only increase! I look forward to the miracles in store this next week!! Well I love you so much, it is time to go to the Bronx Zoo with the Sisters and Elders! Until next time….XOXO!

Love you always,
Sister Miller

No comments: